Inspired by what a friend said. Although I cannot rhyme to save my life, inexplicably, I still try.
I bumped into a poem today
His hair was askew and his beard was grey,
And when I asked him if he’d stay
He politely refused.
But I pursued him down the street
To the place where muses go
The place where metres always meet
And rhythms freely flow.
And as he turned I saw his face
With lines that ran a thousand miles
And eyes that were full of song
And fire in his smile.
And as I walked I heard him speak
In a voice that tripped with rhyme
But his feet were sore and cracked and weak
From always keeping time.
As I watched, he stooped and picked
The dust and grime from garbage heaps
And carved them into perfect words
That lay like diamonds, fast asleep
In his palm, and with his stroke
All at once, they all awoke
And flew like a thousand butterflies
Into the city smoke.
1 comment:
I think I know this poem, he seems familiar. The one that survived the ungracious abandonment of those who learn to critique and forget that they can create. I like. :)
Post a Comment