Oct 6, 2007

grey

I wonder when the grey set in...
There was a time when everything was black or white.Everything was defined.Neatly bordered off.No hazy horizons.No blurred lines.No irrevocable mixing of the black and the white so that recognizing them is impossible.And useless.

I see myself walking amongst thousands of nameless,faceless people on a crowded street.Grey coats.Grey skies.A light drizzle that wet the tops of thousands of black umbrellas.
Grey pavements.
I walk with the flow.Till i chance upon my friend in the crowd.I cry out.Grey coats block my vision.I fight through the ocean of people to reach out for him.I see his familiar face.But the eyes that peer out are those of strangers...I suddenly realize he is a stranger.I start and let go of his hand.In an instant he's lost in the grey.

I hear laughter.Fresh laughter.Laughter that awakens my senses,brings with it an old half-forgotten scent.I look around and struggle to find it's source.The voice is near me.I can feel it.It brushes against me.I clutch at it.But it's gone.I can't find it anymore.

And then again the grey.Numbing me,blurring the surroundings.Till boundaries cease to matter. And i no longer know where i am.

6 comments:

storyteller said...

lovely post..beautifully written

Sugaree said...

Nice image and please keep churning out these short passages. They're delightful.

Sugaree said...

sorry, didn't realise comment moderation was on. Delete these extra comments please or else I shall vanquish you and play basketball with your body parts.

AbhijanB said...

This is truly magnificent. Delicacy and subtlity poised together.

cyber monkey said...

beautifully done.
and you said cloudy/rainy ays don't depress you!

CheshireCat said...

they don't...
this has nothing to do with grey skies.and everything to do with grey moods.