Dec 2, 2007

neon

The city by night is a heady mix of sweat,the tang of coriander from the street-counters and Neon.
Sparkling,unblinking neon.
There are no more any dark alleyway half-lit in the pale glow of the street lamp. There are no half-whispered thoughts lingering furtively in the air.
I had thought Love needed solitude.Needed awkward glances stolen in Twilight. Needed that intoxicating mix of candlelight and Evening.Needed shy words and light touches in the soft privacy of the night.

I see Love screaming from hoardings, announcing herself from every possible corner.Brazenly adorning shop windows to be taken in by the highest bidder. Marketing herself shamelessly.
I see Love bathed in Neon. Harsh,glittering,unchanging neon.Dispelling (un)wanted darkness.
Lighting up the city every night.

8 comments:

★●Shadow Stalker●★ said...

Quite intriguing. Your poem has really made me visualize the city by night, the solitude, the air of calmness all around which I so dearly miss (often).

P.S: Why do you have "Entries from charitable people"? It sounds kinda gross.

Rhea Silvia said...

It's lovely. Very evocative. Sorry, I suck at praising poetry. Also, have posted all my stuff and it has sucked out my brains.

CheshireCat said...

@rhea
and shadow stalker:-
you think this is a poem?
ah well.

rukmini said...

Neon only changes the colour of things. What lies beneath is still the same. Don't let disillusionment erode your inside.
:)

Timber Da Wolf said...

Deep... Very Deep indeed ..

CheshireCat said...

@rukmini
thanks so much.
:)

storyteller said...

very pretty,very descriptive.wonderful read.

CheshireCat said...

@shreya
thankee.