It was great to be back on a train again. Trains have that great sense of solidarity.Of homecoming.But essentially without all the material strings that tend to tie you down in a 'home'.
It gives you that thrilling sense of notbelonging, which is, in a way, a very liberating sensation.I love the way you make a tiny cubicle your 'home' for a moment and then walk out again the next day without turning back.
Like a saint. Or a hippie.
Trains also have that sense of fluid identity.Like water. Or a new notebook to scribble in. You are a stranger.The people you meet are strangers. And you can be anything you want. The Walrus or the Carpenter.
Even an Oyster.
Incidentally my three fellow travellers looked like villians right off a trashy film-----the brilliant mastermind with the bottlebrush moustache, the corrupt banker(or lawyer or doctor) and the poor henchman who gets beaten up in the end. Mind you, for all I know, they may be devastatingly nice.And as we all know, looks are deceptive.I,for one, have been told that I look quite intelligent.
7 comments:
One morning (a couple of weeks back) I spent about 2 hours waiting in Howrah Station. It made me pretty sad to realise that I haven't been on a train journey for SUCH a long time! I want to getaway... :(
Hmm...the only urge I get on trains is to punch my fellow travelers on the nose. :P
@rookie
Then plan at least a weekend getaway to shantiniketan or something!That qualifies as a vacation too right?
Though I'm not too sure about the local trains.
@the messiah
I'm talking about the train. The fellow passengers don't count. I have the same reaction usually as well. Especially when they ask inane questions and interrupt my music!
train journeys are the best.Especially because you get to look outside the window and watch the coutryside speeding past you.
Train journeys are always the best. I have recently been on the train as u know and you are right about what it really means or what it exactly feels like. I think I felt like this too, but never quite realised it!
:)
Like a saint. Or a hippie. :D
I have good travelers luck. Whenever I travel on trains, i have a bunch of rather delightful people around me. While my friends cry about not having good girls/guys (as the case may be) in their compartment, I have numbers of random girls on my phone that i met on the train. Sheer bloody luck, yes.
But then, I dislike trains because of the toilets. Now whenever I travel, i just scramble up to the top berth and down half a bottle of Glycodin. Knocks one off nicely into a blissful 12 hour dream-less sleep.
Post a Comment